We love a night out by the fire more than most here at Fox River Fire Rings and fire safety is ALWAYS a concern for us when we have a fire. We know many of you have questions when you decide to purchase an outdoor fire ring, like – can I have a fire pit in my backyard? How far from my house should my backyard fire pit be? We can answer these questions and more right here at Fox River Fire Rings and help you have a safe and enjoyable night by the fire with family and friends.
Where Should I Put a Fire Ring in My Backyard?
Whether you plan to install an in-ground fire pit or purchase a custom Fox River Fire Ring – safety is paramount. Laws and regulations for backyard fire pits will vary based on the local municipality. A general rule of thumb when you place your fire pit or fire ring in your backyard is to keep it a minimum of 10 feet from any flammable structure or surface. When you keep your fire pit 10-25 feet from flammable structures, you mitigate the risk of embers reaching flammable objects and starting a second blaze. Fire pits and fire rings should also be a minimum of 10 feet from your property line. Make sure to check local laws and regulations for more precise standards.
Flammable structures, surfaces and objects that you want to ensure your fire is clear of include:
- Your Home
- Your Garage
- Your Outdoor Shed
- Your Vehicle
- Your Wood/Synthetic Deck
- Your Fence
- Your Neighbor’s Property
- Any Trees or Overhanging Branches
Do’s and Don’ts of Outdoor Fire Pits
Do you have your heart set on a backyard fire pit at your home, cabin or cottage? Fox River Fire Rings provides potential buyers with a wide range of custom fire rings that are made with a portable, easy-to-assemble design that is manufactured from high-quality steel right here in Neenah, WI. When you purchase a brand-new fire ring, we want you to be safe and so we have created a quick list of do’s and don’ts for your outdoor fire pit.
- DO check with your local fire department or municipality to ensure you follow the correct laws and regulations.
- DO put your fire pit or fire ring a safe distance away from your home and any flammable structures or materials.
- DO keep a fire extinguisher nearby and have a plan if anything in your backyard catches fire.
- DO clean out your fire pit or fire ring after each use to ensure it lasts a long time.
- DON’T have a fire in windy conditions or when winds reach speeds above 15 mph.
- DON’T burn materials other than dry and seasoned wood.
- DON’T leave your fire burning without you or a family member nearby in case of emergency.
- DON’T keep firewood and kindling too close to your fire to avoid any accidental fires.
If you are considering purchasing an outdoor fire ring or installing a fire pit in your backyard, you may have questions about fire safety. Questions like – how far from my house should my backyard fire pit be? We can help answer this question and more here at Fox River Fire Rings. Contact Fox River Fire Rings today to learn more about our high-quality steel fire rings that are perfect for your backyard, cabin, cottage or campsite!